Monday, February 23, 2015

It's all annoying isn't it?

 I find myself being annoyed at just about everything lately.  When a news story airs, and I ask myself, "why is this on the news", that's annoying.  Certain people's faces are annoying.  White people that think they need to speak out for "disenfranchised" minorities are really annoying, and I would argue, just as racist as any racist comment or joke people can make about said disenfranchised folks.  People driving in the left lane that shouldn't be driving in the left lane, are annoying.  People at Costco that are so involved in what they have going on, they don't pay attention to the fact that you almost ran them over, or they're in the way of what you need to get.  I understand taking a certain amount of time to find what you're looking for, but being so oblivious to the rest of the world going on around you that you can't see you're holding everyone else up.  Also the sample stations at Costco are horribly placed.  They're in the way.  The huffington post website and their writers are annoying, not only because they're liberal, but because they're elitists.  They think they know better than you, and every decision you've made is because you're a white male with no perspective of the world.  Auto correct is annoying too.  Just sitting there, mocking you, changing your words, and punctuation.  Jerk.  Modern music is annoying.  All the music that is auto tuned and cleaned up to take all imperfections out, is annoying.  Why is Kanye West still a thing?  That's annoying.
 I've said all that to say this.  I would really like to be a person that doesn't find myself being annoyed but this stuff, and that is a small list to show you what I find annoying in this world.  My wife pays no attention to any of that stuff, she's just there, being awesome and loving and caring for my boys and I.  She has no idea what I'm talking about half the time, and I find myself being jealous of that.
 I need to stop paying attention to the trivial, and focus on the eternal.  The focus on the eternal is the solution here.  21 Christians being slain in the name of a god that doesn't exist should get more attention in my life than it has.  Trying to change my little piece of the world should be holding a bigger part of my mind, should be more important than it is.  I can blame a lot of things for wasting time, and taking attention away from the eternal, but none of the excuses are good.  It's all trivial.  It's all stupid.  I don't go exercise at night because I "need" to watch tv shows that I like.  Thats a dumb reason to not go for  a walk.  The main thing has become a series of small, unimportant, trivial things, that have nothing to do with affecting my part of the world to turn their perspective to the eternal.
 I have found myself feeling restless lately.  I feel stuck in a job that I like, but the chances for advancement don't seem to be coming fast enough.  I'm getting to a point where I look at other things and think, "that's my dream job", but is it really?  At some point everything just turns into work.  I love college football, but if I got a job in college football, how would I feel about it in 15 years?  My guess would be about the same way I feel about the job I've had for 15 years.  It's not eternal.  It's a job.  It's a paycheck.  They're all just paychecks, unless I'm affecting eternity.
 I don't have any answers.  I don't know if I will anytime soon.  One thing I do know, eternity seems to be closer than it ever has before.

No comments: